This is the perfect summer salad. It is bright, vibrant and fresh, plus, it is super simple to make and full of goodness.
Beetroot is rich in iron and antioxidants, and has been shown to reduce blood pressure and help prevent dementia. Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and potassium, and have been shown to reduce heart disease and cancer. Mint is rich in vitamin A, good for your eye health and aids digestion.
This salad is not only delicious, but a power house of vitamins.
1 x beetroot
2 x heritage tomatoes
12 x cherry or plum tomatoes (in a mix of colours)
A handful of mint
Olive oil, salt and pepper.
1) Wash, peel and then very thinly slice your betroot so you have little circles of beetroot. Use a very sharp knife to do this. If you get these thin enough they will have a slightly translucent tint.
You can cook the betroot if you prefer, but I think the harder texture, a bit like carrot of the raw betroot.
2) Slice your heritage tomatoes in thin slices and halve your cherry tomatoes.
3) Finely chop your mint using just the leaves.
4) Layout your salad on the plate. Start with the heritage tomatoes, then lay slices of betroot in between any gaps (saving a few to go on top). Place your cherry or plum tomatoes on top of the beetroot, add a final few bits of beetroot on top of these.
5) Scatter the mint on top, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Super simple and scrumptious.